I’ve been on a couple of trips now and inevitably found myself patting down pockets knowing that the little doodad I’m looking for isn’t there and blindly hoping the pocket gods have looked down and taken pity on me and put it there for me. But alas, as always, they never have.
SO I thought it would be handy to put together a list of things that “you wouldn’t leave for the field without” and why you included it. Naturally this looks past things like computer, notebook and clean underwear – they’re a given. My list starts with the following:
1. A hat – My Scottish roots don’t lend well to coping with tropical weather of any season. A good hat to soak some excess perspiration has done me wonders when I’m out in the field.
2. Mozzie Repellent – This one explains itself really. These little bastards unfortunately don’t go away by asking them nicely.
3. First aid kit – Thankfully I haven’t had to use this yet but the peace of mind having one around brings does keep the stress down.
So those are my top three, does anyone else have ideas of things you’d never leave for the field without?
1. My camera – a big part research is data collection, photo’s included 😛
2. Water bottle (with a filter) staying hydrated always helps me stay focused and engaged whilst travelling
3. Some kind of snack or goodie – for my own consumption but also to share with those around me. A great ice breaker is simply sharing 🙂